Sunday 26 January 2014

Replacing the Floorboards


New Floor Boards

Prior to our purchase of Tra Bhui the previous owner had fitted new floor boards made of dressed and tanalised pine. While these are perfectly adequate and functional, I would like to replace them at some point with something a bit better looking.
On our previous boat – our Lugger Braveheart – I had made new floor boards out of teak planking which I machined from some large teak beams that I purchased secondhand. For Tra Bhui I wanted to do something a bit different and so I decided that teak gratings was the floor board we would have. I use the term we , but being honest Kathleen was not actually consulted on this and the first she knew of it was when I e-mailed her from Manila to tell her a courier would be delivering 200 No lengths of 40mm x 40mm x 900mm teak sometime that week.
Kathleen to be fair takes these things mostly in her stride and as long as it does not involve me making a mess in the house she lets me potter in my workshop whenever I am home.
The teak was delivered during the summer of 2013 and is stacked and in my workshop where it forms a handy surface to set things down on.
One day I will have time to run the lengths through the thicknesser and start cutting joints, but until then I have a number of more pressing projects to complete on Tra Bhui before the 2014 season starts.

TO BE CONTINUED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment